Millennium Smiles in Frisco, TX offers treatment for the signs, symptoms and effects of gum disease. Restoring healthy gums is important for maintaining a stable, functioning smile.
Preventing Gum Disease
During a routine visit with Dr. Dunia Korous, she will perform a thorough examination of your oral health, including a screening for the signs of gum disease. Visiting our Frisco family dentist office at least twice a year for preventive dental care enables Dr. Korous and her staff to detect developing concerns early and provide conservative, effective treatment that can prevent permanent damage.
Healthy gums are the support structure for your teeth- untreated gum disease can advance rapidly and lead to a range of dental problems:
- Receding gums
- Bleeding gums
- Shifting or loose teeth
- Changes in how dentures or dental appliances fit
- Swollen, irritated gums
As infection spreads, the gums can also begin to separate from the teeth, exposing tooth roots and increasing the risk of tooth decay. Prompt treatment for gum disease can avoid these concerns and restore your dental health.
Treatment for Gum Disease
Periodontal therapy is often dependent on the stage of gum disease and can be as simple as a thorough dental cleaning to remove plaque and tartar. More intensive treatment can include:
- Scaling and root planing: this intensive cleaning removes built up plaque from the gum line, tooth roots and deep pockets of the gums.
- Antibacterial rinses: when appropriate, your dentist may prescribe an anti bacterial rinse to be used between visits and reduce the level of bacteria present in the mouth, especially for patients with persistent gingivitis.
- Laser dentistry: dental soft tissue lasers can be used to address infected gum tissue with minimal discomfort.
- Gum surgery: when necessary in cases of advanced gum disease or periodontitis, Dr.Korous may refer you to a local periodontist for treatment.